Thursday, December 18, 2008

Stick um up!

Those of you who know my know me know I have two loves in my life. Firearms, and anything written and preformed by the 2nd Jonas brother.

Hair like that doesn't happen by accident... *sigh*


I recently became the victim of a potentially violent crime.
By violent I of course mean passive, and by victim I mean clueless innocent bystander.

I sat in my office minding my own business, googling my name and searching for Bonanza memorabilia on Ebay when I decided I should take a much needed brake. My office is blessed with large windows that give me an excellent view of the entirety of the banking center in which I work, however they are placed behind me as I sit at my desk.
I stand up to head out of the office when I notice something strange. The bank is completely empty, with the exception of about 10 police officers. And outside, the entire center had been blocked of with police tape!
Assuming that the disturbance is a result of the company pens I helped myself to a few weeks earlier, I immediately proceed to keaster a pack a cigarettes, as I hear they are good as gold on the inside. As I walk slowly (and awkwardly) from my office with my hands interlocked behind my head demanding my one phone call, I notice that there are no guns drawn.
It turns out, that much like my upbringing, they simply forgot I was around. While I was in my office one of the tellers had been robbed. After a quick trip to the restroom, I lit one up with one of the detectives outside...
The good news was two fold, no one was hurt, and they had caught the culprit. He had tried unsuccessfully to escape with $1500. It was however not all a loss for the gentlemen who tried to help himself to our funds.
He obviously needed the money, so the officers graciously decided to put him up for free at Florence prison for at least the next 6 years, not to mention 3 meals a day, and cable! Talk about a deal! I would have killed for that growing up.
The day I turned 12 my parents started charging me rent, and that didn't include cable. Often my dad would have me act as his antenna by standing precariously on top of the television, in hopes of catching the fight. If that didn't work, he would have my brother and I reenact the fight from the night before based on highlights in the following day's newspaper. Unfortunately I always played the white guy.
My dad always insisted that in order for it to be a true reenactment the knockout had to be real. I eventually that if I held my breath as my brother pummeled my head, I would pass out faster.

I am glad the ordeal is over and that everyone is okay. Robberies such as this are not as glamorous as everyone thinks they are. So always be careful. I don't want you do end up hardened like me. I am a bank robbery survivor.

No comments: